Paris-Brest-Paris 2023
August 20-24

Colorado Riders

Unofficial Results as of 20-SEP-2019


 Frame#  Rider   Result  Limit  Start Wave   Last Control 
H322Mark Andre *DNF9017:45Villaines-la-Juhel
J055Debbie Bush *DNF9018:15Brest
I137Tom Ehlman93:49 (HD)9018:00Rambouillet
E053Jonathan Fey50:428017:00
J015Paul Foley88:579018:15
J003Rashid Khan85:059018:15
J002Pascal Ledru88:579018:15
F166Beth LongDNF9017:15Loudéac
I142Oksana Kovalenko93:49 (HD)9018:00Rambouillet
J016L John Mangin85:059018:15
J004Jenn Moore85:059018:15
F167Brent MyersDNF9017:15Loudéac
D134Mateo Ramos58:088016:45
J011Vernon Smith82:139018:15
J028Mike Turek88:579018:15
B025Corinne Warren74:278016:15
* first timer!
Rider links go to their ACP tracking.
Start Wave:Pre-reserved wave of several hundred riders every 15 mins.
Frame#:Individual rider frame number (wave letter + index)
Limit: 80-hour (departing late afternoon 8/20) - Waves A-E
90-hour (departing evening 8/20) - Waves G-P + F (special bikes)
84 hour (departing morning 8/21) - Waves X-Z + W (special bikes)

ACP Rider Tracking Lookup

Mark Andre
Pascal Ledru
Jenn Moore
Mike Turek
Corinne Warren

Vernon, Pascal, John, Mr. Bunny, Mike, Paul -- Patrick Chin-Hong photo

Mark Andre

What happened with me: Thursday early AM in Alençon I suffered a right femur fracture due to crash in a roundabout. Was at km 1050. Ambulance took me to the ER, they put me on an IV but didn’t x-ray my leg, said it was likely a pulled groin, told me to get a hotel room and rest it for five days. My son was there to help me manage. At day 3 the bed rest and pain meds had me feeling better— tried getting back on the bike. Rode the 40km to Mortagne-au-Perche and taxied back to Alençon, which was gratifying. Next day taxied back and rode the rest of the way to Rambouillet through Dreux. Flew back to the USA next day.

Visited Ortho & Spine of Rockies walk-in clinic upon return and they x-rayed and saw the fracture. Had surgery this past Saturday and am convalescing.

Had I known what I know now: (1) Time management at Controls, too easy to spend a couple hours jawing away with folks at every stop. If you’re a senior rider averaging lower kph, one gets behind. Then no time to sleep, got to push thru the night(s), get foggy brained, hallucinatory, leads to screw ups like my crash. (2) 600km brevet preps the body to spend long hours on the bike, but can’t prep one for sleep-deprivation. (3) The advice “Just enjoy yourself out there” isn’t all that helpful—the clock is ticking and a singular focus on the task is essential to finish within the time limit. Anyway, I came back with no medal but many stories. Congratulations to all who participated and chapeau to the finishers!

Wednesday sunrise outside Loudeac, Paris-bound.

Arriving at Rambouillet five days after the close of the event (with a broken femur.)

Steve Atkins

Link to Steve's blogpost


Pascal Ledru

Album created by John M, but there are also pictures from Vernon, Paul, Rashid, Jenn, Mike and myself (also some pre-ride pics):

PBP Photo Gallery

Pascal Ledru, Mike Turek, Steve Atkins coming into Brest.

Jenn Moore

  • We started in the 6:15 pm wave with most of the rest of RMCC. It was good riding through the somewhat chaotic start with familiar riders. We mostly rode together off and on until Villaines-La-Juhel.
  • Rashid and I took a 1.5 hour sleep stop at Villaines. I thought this worked really well to avoid the very doziest of the middle of the night riding, and going forward put us on a better schedule to maximize riding in the daylight and sleeping in the dark. My alertness and mood were much improved as compared to 2019.
  • The plan was to get to Brest for sleep, but given our goal of sleeping when it was dark, it made more sense to sleep at Carhaix. It was a madhouse, as the previous sleep stop had placed us in “the bulge”. Still seemed worth the trade off to me.
  • Afternoons were toasty this edition and for me, humid. Lots of electrolytes!
  • Things went pretty smoothly on the beginning of the return; echoing what others have said in previous years, it was hard to find good groups to work with. A highlight was falling in with an awesome group of riders from a club in Valencia, Spain. They ran a tight ship and took great care of each other! We first rode with them into Loudeac, then they invited us to join them again when they passed us on the way to Tinténiac, where we took another long sleep stop.
  • Things were going great, when 5 miles out of Tinteniac, the parallelogram spring on my derailleur snapped and my rear shifting failed. Rashid rigged up a temporary solution with rubber bands and later some elastic cord from my bag. The plan was to buy another one at a bike shop in Fougères, but an hour later we rolled out with my broken derailleur back on the bike after the one they had didn’t work. The mechanic stand at the control also didn’t have anything that would work. Rashid fixed it again, with a stronger rubber band that the mechanic had given us and a zip tie. It miraculously held all the way to the end! We got back Thursday morning just after sunrise, with John M., who we had ridden with off and on since before Villaines.
  • PBP is such a special event- logistically challenging, but the throngs of families and villagers coming out to cheer and give us food and water, as well as the camaraderie of 6,000+ other riders, make it so fun. Fingers crossed I’ll be there in 2027!

John Mangin, Jenn, and Rashid


Mike Turek

As I sit in a cafe on the riverfront in Porto…randonnesia has completely set it… So there might be gaps which Pascal will need to fill in since I was asleep for a portion of the ride between Mortagne and Dreux…


  • Bretons - the families seemed even more delightful this time. Patrick's post on Facebook captured my emotions well.
  • meeting pascals cousin - a fellow submariner in Brest.
  • of course Pascal's and Steve's wonderful support - all I needed to do was follow Pascal, no other algorithms needed!
  • the massage by Maureen (see below)
  • riding in with Paul and Pascal and Tim and Brenda to capture Adrian hands award
  • seeing Rashid "McGuiver" Khan become my cycling hero for his rubber band trick on Jen's bike
  • hanging with Brent, Beth, Tom, Oksana and Debbie in the courtyard of oncle Louis
  • the Italian restaurant dinner (thx Vern) too bad I can never return.
  • "no water" cafe - nuff said…
  • seeing an American take the non-race race ... and Jonathan Charlie and Mateo and Corinne all PR!


  • misadjusting my saddle on the fly Sunday eve causing sciatica pain that would put us in trouble for rest of ride…told Pascal and Steve to head on, but they stayed with me ... they and Maureen's massage saved me
  • wanting to sleep so badly in Mortagne I challenged Pascal's plan…never ever do that!
  • hallucinating on the hills to Dreux - never ever want to experience that again, though it was pretty funny seeing Pascal riding a space jet with white lines shooting out of his butt.
  • can never repay the team for all the support during training, quals and riding to complete this most difficult 1200k during a very stressful year ...

Thank you all!!

Corinne Warren

Started in the same wave as last time, the second 80 hour B wave, and this time I knew to expect a race-like start, which to me feels appropriate for the approach my riding partner and I were taking. There was a group of four of us from Treasure Cove, and three of us would end up finishing together even after being separated in the first two miles. My mindset aligned better with the folks I rode with last year than the RMCC compatriots that I am able to keep up with.

Only time I have ever gone this long without a pit stop: made it all the way to Villaines before stopping for anything more than water. Dinner there was leftover Indian food (curried eggplant and rice) and would turn out to be the best meal of the ride. Dry rice-based cookies became harder to choke down as the ride went on, and my gf sandwiches started falling apart. To any with dietary restrictions, I would recommend bringing enough food to keep yourself from starving. There was little I could eat at controls and as a gluten free vegetarian, I relied heavily on the food I carried with me and packed in my drop bag. I supplemented with three types of liquid calories and that approach seems to have worked well.

Overall, the weather was warmer than last time and mostly pleasant. While later-starting riders were suffering from the heat, we had made it far enough to be in fog for hours, keeping us cool.

For me, there were three highlights of the ride, and they happened early on: first, having Mateo pass and stop to chat for a few minutes, and second, riding with Jonathan through one of the many cities we passed through at night. Third, when I got my card stamped at Carhaix, the volunteer marveled that the first rider had already come through on the return. I asked who it was, and when she looked it up and showed me "Nick DeHaan" I let out a whoop of joy. Hearing that my Treasure Cove roommate was tearing it up gave me a shot of happiness and adrenaline, helping me to get through the inevitable dark periods in every 1200k.

By the time we got to Brest, I knew I would not make my time goal, as I was an hour slower than in 2019, when I needed to be an hour faster. That took some pressure off and the riding became a bit more enjoyable. I also loved the stretch from Brest to Carhaix as it had some nice climbs. We stopped for an hour and a half rest at the secret control, knowing that Carhaix would be a zoo by the time we reached it. For me, that meant listening to the snoring of others, but my riding partner was able to sleep and we set out with new vigor for Carhaix.

Having slept before the ride for the first time ever, with the aid of prescription sleeping pills, I felt awesome and not at all fatigued. In fact, I made it 56 hours - all the way to Villaines on the return - without a sleep break. But 200k from the end we took time to eat a real meal (dry fish and rice) and sleep an hour. At the hour mark, I could not be awoken apparently, and they decided to let me sleep one hour more. Getting back on the bike with two hours sound slumber under my belt, I was ready to push it in to the finish.

Rolling into Mortagne, my riding partner was in desperate need of a nap, while I was wide awake. So I continued on with a plan to meet up at the next (last!) control. This was the best stretch for me, as it was only the third time I found English speakers to ride with, and I could talk without my brain straining to reach for words in French or German. Rolled into Dreux with four Brits, and rolled out with them plus my riding partner, when suddenly my ride was derailed as I apparently went down. The ambulance crew (six of them) that examined me let me decide whether to go to the hospital or get back on the bike, being quite clear that the hospital would take too much time for me to finish the ride. That third rider that we had started with now caught up to us and his support crew took all the gear from my bike to make it easier to ride. After a text consultation with Nick (a nurse) who had finished the day before, I got back on my greatly lightened bike and rode conservatively to the finish with Andrei Fluerasu and John D'Elia. Happy and lucky just to have finished, this was a one-time deal for me.

Overall impressions: the riders around me were 65% - 70% French. If doing this ride is important to you, working on your French is paramount to having a better experience. Despite the few route changes, to a climber, this is a pretty flat ride and from just a route analysis point of view, if I am going to travel to Europe to ride, I prefer to visit the mountains. The volunteers were very friendly, and I noticed more townspeople out to support the riders. I appreciated that angle better this time around. The food and drink situation was pretty dismal for me: very little I could eat, and the drinks were warm. I am not an ice user in general, but I see a business opportunity here. Glad to have finished, but this is definitely a check off the bucket list for me.


Corinne with Treasure Cove friends Andrei Fluerasu and John D'Elia. Though we split up in the first few miles, the three of us ended up finishing together.

- - -